Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Begining

Throughout my high school career I have considered myself to be a strong writer. I can weave words and sentences together to make a paper flow more naturally, I know how much I can assert my own opinion without offending my reader, I am able to tailor the style of the paper to directly support its purpose. Yet as I began to develop my own style of writing I began to notice that I had developed some very damaging weakness within my writing style. While one of my strengths as a writer is making a paper flow more naturally this means that my papers become lacking in structure, often becoming to free form which may not convey the tone of the paper properly or may make the writing appear unfocused. The beginning of a paper is another one of my weaker areas. The beginning of any piece of writing is by far the most important part, so as a result I don't feel satisfied unless I get it exactly "right". As a result there have been times when I have spent a good hour staring at a blank computer screen trying to work that one sentence correctly. Nowadays I will often write the intro last in order to be more efficient, but it is still something that I struggle with. The last problem That I have with writing is more of a personality issue then anything else. I am some what of a picky writer, when I am given a certian amount of freedom within a writing assignment, then the process becomes both fun and rewarding. However when I am required to write of a certain topic in a certain way then the process becomes arduous and difficult. As a result the final product is often of a much lower quality. This has come back to bit me more than a few times in high school where a paper that could of been a solid A was instead a low B because I didn't put my best effort into it. My goal over this course is to eliminate weakness to become a better rounded writer. Another goal is to gain more of an insight into writing fiction, something I have always wanted to do, but do not feel that I am skilled enough to do so. My

No comments:

Post a Comment